Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Seven Day Struggle Part One: Gluten Free Almond Cookies with Chocolate Hazelnut Filling

Whew that's a mouthful...and so are these necessity driven cookies.





Here's the story:
Since I'm an Americorps member my pay is a stipend rather than a salary. As such, I technically don't make any money in the eyes of the government. Which is great, because I get to collect food stamps! Each month on the 7th I my classy little EBT card gets reloaded with $200...which is apparently all I need to feed myself (and Josh) every month. Except i guess it's not. I've always been frugal but never payed that close attention to my food related spending. When I first found out I qualified $200 seemed like so much, but for the third month in a row we are out of money and really having to get creative with food.

Since this is a blog about being (and eating) broke, I figure this is a good recurring thread to start up.


Gluten Free...I'm new to this
As a red blooded seitan eater I am not gluten free. I do, however, enjoy a new challenge. Also, I have cabinet full of Bob's Red Mill flours and baking goods. My mom thinks 'vegan' means anything she can't identify. This includes but is not limited to Sorghum flour, Guar Gum and ...Hazelnut Praline.


So I decided to make cookies!


Almond Chocolate-Hazelnut Cookies

1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup Sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour (I actually just ground up tapioca in a coffee grinder)
1/2 cup almonds (or ground almonds)
1 tsp Guar gum
1/4 cup chocolate chips/chunks
Hazelnut Praline (or natural peanut/almond butter)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Add the ground flaxseed to 2 Tbsp water, whisk and set aside. Next, cream the sugar and vegan margarine until fluffy and light. Be sure to avoid over mixing. Add almond extract.

Grind almonds in a food processor. Mix with baking powder, flours and guar gum. Slowly add dry ingredients to the sugar and margarine while mixing until a stiff dough forms.

Roll tablespoons of the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. This should create about 15 cookies. Flatten with a spoon and create a well in the center with your thumb. Bake for 15 minutes.


While the cookies are baking prepare the filling. Melt the chocolate in a double broiler (make sure you don't let even a drop of water touch the chocolate!). When the chocolate is almost melted add the hazelnut praline and mix thoroughly.





Remove cookies from the oven. You may need to push in the centers a bit again with your thumb. Transfer to a cooling rack and add the filling.





These are amazing and delicious and a pretty good start to a gluten free baking career!


Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment